Tuesday, March 25, 2014

They Call Me Mellow Yellow.....quite rightly.

Well, miracle of miracles, my camera has graced me with a day of picture taking before descending back into the black pit of hell where it usually lives.  I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it is to want to take a photo and have my camera lock up with a black screen.  Well, I did just tell you, and now you know.
On Saturday it worked, and I was able to get a few shots at the David Fair which was winding down.  The fair, like most fairs, had the usual exhibits, demonstrations, rodeo, music and fair food.  But this is Panama, so it's 'Fair with a Twist'.  We absolutely enjoyed ourselves and had a wonderful day.  Timing things to not be in the heat of the day, we arrived late afternoon and parked at McDonald's and walked to the fair.  I tell you this because the streets outside the fair are lined with vendors and street food and were just as interesting as the fair itself.  Lots of junk, to be sure, but there were many little finds that were hard to resist.  Barbeque chicken on sticks, and typical ceramic garden art to name a few.   My bookcase now is home to 3 ceramic Panamanian musicians, poised to play, which I couldn't resist.
Tickets were $1.00 with our jubilado discuenta.  I couldn't help but compare that to the $7.50 fair entrance I am used to in CDA but I digress.
We enjoyed the many exhibit halls with items ranging from exquisitely detailed Panamanian hats, clothes, leatherwork, jewelry, wooden carvings, and jewelry to housewares, thousands of shoes, toys, and kitchen magnets.  I searched for paintings, but never found any.  There were artists there willing to draw portraits on the spot, but no paintings to adorn my naked walls.  Dennis found a new hot sauce to try (of course) and I couldn't resist a beautiful silver rope chain.  We settled in at one of the outdoor cafes for a cool beverage and a bit of people watching.  Children were riding horses and cows and many beautiful horses were on display.  Panama reveres the caballo and earlier in the week was a giant cabalgata (horse parade) consisting of hundreds of proud  riders with  a generous sprinkling of rum throughout the crowd.  We missed this event, so sadly, I have no pics to share.  I have to say my favorite highlights of the fair were the border patrol policia giving zipline rides to the kids, the folkdancing, mariachi band, and the street of flowers.  On the street of flowers, there were plants of every kind and all for sale.  I was in heaven, and absolutely loved the succulents, orchids, medicinal herbs, and hanging flower baskets.
Eventually, our feet gave out and we headed home, back through the street vendors and home to a cooler Boquete.
Dennis finished painting our house and gate, and they are now a very bright and tropical yellow.  One house to go and then the trim work and another job is checked off on the Never Ending List.  We wouldn't have it any other way.
"IT DOES NOT DO TO DWELL ON DREAMS, AND FORGET TO LIVE." J.K Rowling from Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Daily visit from the neighbor's dog

Yup!  It's yellow.

You got to mooove it, mooove it.

zip lining border patrol

Little Gaucho

This is a real cowgirl

You mean this isn't Mexico?

On the street of flowers

Mas flores

Grandmother of all yucca

Que es?

Furniture stalls


outside the fair

colorful booths

mmm.......good

hats with molas

Say hello to my little friends

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I missed it this year so I'm happy to see a few photos. I wonder if the "que es" photo is a palm something that they make palm oil out of?
    I made it to the horse parade and will post photos eventually. Someone told us there were 5000 horses there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. It is what palm oil comes from. (Duh! I knew that.) 5,000 caballos. Wow! That must have been an awesome sight
    .

    ReplyDelete